Whether you are a Town Hall 8 player or not, I think that this awesome guide will be extremely useful for you!
First off, You should also max all your farming troop upgrades and also key defenses (Mortars, Wizar Towers,…) before going to Town Hall 8. If you are upgrading your Town Hall to level 8, try to farm Gold and Elixir during this time as you will need to use them a lot after getting to Town Hall 8. Then, If you are looking for a good TH8 Farming Base, please give this base a try.
TH8 Building Upgrade Order
I started Town Hall 8 with 4 builders. The fifth builder is great but I think 4 guys are enough at TH8, truly you really need the last one when you reach Town Hall 9 in the future. I prefer boosting Barracks/Spell Factory to buying the 5th builder.
Don’t use all those builders to upgrade defensive buildings at a time otherwise your village will be very weak! Also, you shouldn’t upgrade more than 1 building of a defense type at a time.
What should be upgraded first?
- Laboratory: New troop upgrades are always the most interesting thing we care about after upgrading Town Hall. By upgrading your Laboratory at first, you can farm much easier. This is the most important building you need to care about at all TH levels.
- Dark Spell Factory: I am pretty sure that most Town Hall 7 players really want to get the Poison Spell because of its use. It’s extremely useful in both farming and Clan Wars. 1 Poison Spell is enough to protect from most Clan Castle troops. You will also should upgrade this to level 2 as soon as possible to get the Earthquake Spell and dominate with your the combo ZapQuake.
- Clan Castle: The higher level your Clan Castle is, the more Treasure Loot and Clan troops you can hold. A lot of players like upgrading Army Camps before this, that’s not always great. Upgrading 1 Army Camp gives you 5 more housing spaces, upgrading the Clan Castle can give you 5 more housing spaces, more loot space and you can use that 5 housing spaces in defense. It’s much better, right?
- Dark Elixir Drill: Having an extra Dark Elixir Drill is one of the best things at this level. With 2 maxed Drills, you can earn 1,080 DE everyday. That’s so sweet.
- New Defenses: After upgrading to Town Hall 8, you can buy some new defensive buildings (Archer Tower, Wizard Tower, Mortar, Tesla, Air Defense,…). Don’t leave them at level 1, keep upgrading them to at least level 5 as they will increase the overall strength of your base in both Clan Wars and normal matchmaking system.
- Others: Barbarian King to level 10 -> Dark Barrack to level 4 (optional) -> Skeleton Traps -> Air Defenses -> Wizard Towers -> Hidden Teslas -> Air Sweeper -> Archer Towers -> Mortars -> Cannons -> Giant Bombs and Small Bombs -> Walls. I have posted a detailed guide for TH8 Upgrade Order. You can take a look at here for more details.
- Upgrading Tesla: Tesla is one of the most important defenses in Town Hall 9. You should upgrade them all to level 6 before upgrading to hit level 9. You need to have at least 1 builder working on them most of the time since they take a very long time to upgrade.
- Level 10 Barbarian King: Upgrading your Barbarian King to at least level 5 is the most important task you should do with your Dark Elixir first before upgrading your Hogs or Minions. He and his special ability will help you skyrocket your farming speed. You can see why this is so important in my Barbarian King Guide.
- Walls: Upgrade them when you have nothing to build with your builders or when you are upgrading more than 3 defenses and don’t want anybody touch your loot.
Always be sure that you always have enough Elixir to use in Laboratory to keep it working. A fun fact for you: The time you need for upgrading troops/spells is much longer than the time 4 Buildings need to finish all building upgrades at Town Hall 8.
How should I upgrade my troops?
At this time, I recommend using this order
then your favorite troops.
Why? You will definitely need either Archer or Goblin (If you like the Milking Strategy) for farming. Dragon attack strategies are still very over-powered at early-mid Town Hall 8 with the ZapQuake combo. After upgrading the Dragons, you will have enough to upgrade your Hogs (keep working on your Barbarian King at this time). You should get them to level 4 as soon as possible. With level 4 Hogs and level 2 Golem, you can 3 star most Town Hall 8 War Bases at the late TH8 game. The most popular Army Compositions at this time are GoWiPe and GoHogs.
If your Clan are at level 5 or above, level 5 Balloons and level 4 Hog Riders will be very useful for donating.
Town Hall 8 Army Composition
Farming: There are a dozen of good farming strategies for Town Hall 8.
- If you don’t mind to spend hours for farming, you definitely should try the Milking farming strategy. It’s one of the best strategies you can use at any Town Hall level.
- GiBAM is another great choice. It’s one of the fastest-to-train army compositions in Clash of Clans, and very effective of course. With this farming army, you just need about 15 minutes to train a full army (while Barch takes up to 20 minutes). Less time = more loot. At Town Hall 8, I can easily make 2 million loot every hour with this army composition. Why don’t give it a try? Take a look at this guide for more details.
- B.A.M is the fastest-to-train farming army in game. With this strategy, you can easily get the Dark Elixir Storage of most TH8 farming bases. You can take a look at here for more information.
Clan Wars: I have mentioned couples of the best War strategies in the Laboratory Uprades section above, please take a look!
When you finish your buildings, troop upgrades and walls, and you don’t want to stay at TH8 anymore, want bigger camps, bigger troops, want to own the X-bow and want to see the black castle. It’s time for Town Hall 9!